I'm Not Chris

I was in the waiting area at my chiropractor’s office, looking kind of down at my phone. One of the receptionists saw me and said, “Hi Chris!” Then I looked up and she said, “Oh, sorry - you look so much like this guy Chris who comes in. He plays guitar in a band... wait, let me pull him his website...”



Then she went online and found not-me's website. I saw his photo and I have to admit – the guy does look a lot like me.

So the receptionist says, “I really thought it was you. The only differences are - he’s thinner than you, and you’re shorter.”

She said one thing that was different about each of us, but both things favored the other guy. So basically I’m the shorter, fatter version of this guy Chris.

I realized then that’s there kind of an innate rule about comparisons like that, where you give differences on each side - you’re supposed to say one difference that favors one person, and one that favors the other. I never really thought about that until that moment, but she kind of did it halfway. She said one thing that was different about each of us, but both things favored the other guy. So basically I’m the shorter, fatter version of this guy Chris. If you see someone who looks like me - but, of course, a taller, thinner version - tell him I said “hi.”